Friday, March 23, 2012

Coconuts (nu)

Whatever stereotype you have of me drinking coconuts in the islands is probably true.

Coconuts and I have become good friends out here. Cold coconut water is one of the most refreshing liquids I've ever had the pleasure of imbibing; it's appeal heightened by drinking it straight out of the nut, preferably one I've opened myself. I'm not so good at husking the straight-off the tree coconut as it requires far too much upper body strength. I can hack my way into one with a machete, if I'm patient enough to ride out the 10 or so minutes it will take me to get into it by way of that method. However, if I'm handed a husked coconut and a decent knife I am fully capable of opening it from either side, generally in a minute or less.

Coconut meat is another delightful gift of the coconut tree. Personally, I like my coconuts young. When they're older the water gets fizzy tasting and the meat is too hard. When they're young, the meat is almost gelatinous and can be slurped out of the nut; it's delicious.

And, there are a myriad of uses for the coconut other than eating. Start a fire using the husks. Moisturize your hair with the oil. Squeeze out the milk to boil your fish or flavor your breadfruit. Weave a basket with it's branches (probably to carry the coconuts you've harvested). Weave a rope with its fibers.

At 50 cents a pop, or free in many cases, they are an abundant and affordable island delicacy. Another something to be grateful to the islands for.

No comments:

Post a Comment